Thursday, February 7, 2013

Hip Hop and the Act of Love


I loved listening to a Christian rap group called D.C. Talk when I was in junior high.  I thought they were awesome.  One of my favorite songs began by asking, “you down with the dc talk?”  At the ripe age of twelve, I was indeed “down.” 

Today, many scoff at my junior high music tastes.  That is fair.  But, that song made an impression on my life.  After asking listeners if they were “down,” D.C. Talk sang, “Hey, tell me haven't you heard?  Love, is a serious word…the word love; love is a verb.”

Hip-hop aside, that is a powerful statement.  Love is a verb.  Meaning, love goes beyond sentiments and intentions.  Love is an action.  When we love someone, we do stuff for them.  We give hugs.  We buy gifts.  We serve.  We sacrifice.  Love is communicated through action.
           
The Apostle Paul agrees.  In his letter to the church in Corinth, Paul says that love involves all kinds of actions.  Love is patient and kind.  It does not boast.  It always protects and always perseveres.  Love is a verb.

As you go through the coming week, see how you might put love into action.  Serve your spouse as a way of letting them know you love them.  Sacrifice time at work in order to spend more time loving on your children.  Though I may have learned it through early nineties, decaffeinated hip-hop, the lesson is no less true.  Love is a verb.

No comments:

Post a Comment