Thursday, November 14, 2013

Grateful for Graceful Worship


Years ago, I gave a buddy a ride to his family’s farm outside of Dayton, Oregon.   The route we took included a bunch of rural farm roads.  I drove very fast.  As we approached Dayton, I noticed some lights in my rearview mirror.  A police officer had noticed I was driving very fast too.  He pulled me over.

The officer stood at my window and described what I had done wrong.  He took my license and proof of insurance and returned to his car.   I felt horrible.  I knew I had been breaking the law.  There was no excuse.  I deserved the ticket.
           
The officer returned to the car with a stern look on his face.  I waited for the bad news with a sense of dread.  Then, the police officer said, “I’m going to give you a warning.  Remember to obey the speed limit.”  I said, “Thank you, officer.  I will!”

When that officer let me off the hook, I was elated.  I was so relieved that the debt I deserved had been forgiven.  I felt like shouting and dancing as I pulled back onto the road.

The joy we feel after being forgiven is an important part of Christian worship too.  We celebrate God for the immeasurable grace he has poured out on our lives.  Because of Jesus, past mistakes need not condemn us.  Missteps need not define us.  God Almighty has declared us forgiven.  That makes God’s people want to shout and dance.

As you worship this week, remember the incredible grace of God that is at work in your life.  Be free from the dread and guilt of your past.  Be elated about the favor God has given you in His son Jesus Christ.  As you do, you will find great joy in the God who sets people free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment