Thursday, October 23, 2014

Big Dreams and the Miracles of God

A friend of mine served as the Youth Director at a Salvation Army Church.  While serving, he got the idea to reach at-risk youth in his neighborhood.  He approached his pastor and shared the vision.  The pastor responded, “That is great, but I don’t think you’re dreaming big enough.  Lets not limit God.”  They put their heads together, prayed, got to work and watched Jesus move.  A couple years later, they celebrated the opening of a youth center, in a new building, intended to reach at-risk kids throughout their community.  It was awesome.  God indeed performed a miracle.

Remembering that miracle, I appreciate that pastor’s first response: “I don’t think you’re dreaming big enough.”  I love that response because I know that there are times when my dreams don’t do God justice. I try to manage my expectations with God.  I pray for modest results because I worry about being disappointed.  I dream for reasonable things because I think they have a better chance of happening.  In the end, God has to overcome my limited expectations.  By grace, God does.

We see that type of grace at work in Acts 19 when God does the extraordinary through Paul.  Acts 19:11 says, “God did extraordinary miracles through Paul…”  This assumes God did ordinary things too.  But, there were indeed times that God did the extraordinary.  It was important that Paul not limit God, trying to manage expectations.  God called Paul to dream big.

As you go through the coming week, dream big.  Pray big.  Believe big.  God can and will do the extraordinary.  As you do, you may just see God move in power.  You may also hear God say, “I don’t think you’re dreaming big enough.”

No comments:

Post a Comment