Thursday, October 29, 2015

Halloween Candy and the Freedom of God's Law

Halloween makes me think about candy.  I like to eat candy. I like to eat candy a lot. At my worst, I binge on all kinds of candy and end up making myself sick. Afterwards, Leah gets irritated with me and I regret the candy binge.

To be clear: candy is not bad in and of itself. In fact, candy is really great. For me, candy eating simply needs some rules. Rule number one: only eat one or two pieces of a candy at a time. Rule number two: only enjoy candy on special occasions. These rules actually help me enjoy a really great thing like candy. They also free me from the sickness that comes with the abuse of candy.

Concerning much more important things, God has given us rules to help us enjoy good things too. They are called the Ten Commandments. God works through them to help us enjoy God’s blessings to the fullest. 

It is not as if God is a killjoy who gives us instruction to rob us of fun. It is just the opposite. God gives us instruction to help up enjoy all that God has blessed us with.

James 1:25 says, “But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it--not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it--they will be blessed in what they do.” God’s law does not take enjoyment from God’s people, but actually frees us for enjoyment.

As you go through the coming week, find the blessings in God’s instruction. Enjoy relationship with God as you worship God alone. Enjoy the people God has placed in your life as you honor them. As you do, you will be blessed by all the blessings God has given. You will also avoid the sick stomach that comes with a candy binge.

No comments:

Post a Comment