Thursday, February 4, 2016

A Proper Perspective on the Super Bowl

As a kid, I loved watching the Super Bowl. Many times, I loved the game so much I ruined the viewing experience. In the days leading up to the big game, I obsessed. I studied the team I wanted to win. I bet friends that “my team” would win. I insisted “their team” would lose. I talked a lot of trash. My anticipation of the Super Bowl built and built and built.

When game time actually arrived, I became a nervous wreck. I paced back and forth, terrified “my team” would lose. I got in arguments with friends rooting for the “other” team. I snapped at people who tried to talk to me. When things didn’t go my way, I ended up in tears. What should have been fun ended up being stressful, sad and maybe a little embarrassing.

People have a way of doing that with the things we love. We take something good and put so much emphasis on it that it turns bad. We put so much emphasis on our possessions they become a status symbol. We place so much attention on food and beverages that they become an addiction. We focus so much on an important relationship, they become controlling and abusive. What should be a really great things end being ruined by our obsession with it.

Jesus calls us away from such imbalance, inviting us to keep things in perspective. In the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus says, “But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you,” (6:33). It is not as if “all these things” are bad in and of themselves. “Things” are simply healthiest when Christ and His Kingdom are put first and they are put second.

As you watch the Super Bowl this Sunday, keep it in perspective. Recognize that Jesus is Lord and football is fun. Then, enjoy the game to the fullest. Hoop, holler and cheer for you team. Enjoy the cheese dip and soak up the time with friends. As you do, you will be free to enjoy a truly great thing (like the Super Bowl). You will also honor the only one who can truly satisfy you in the process (Jesus).

No comments:

Post a Comment